i remember when my kids were little bitty babies and how there was never a moment of sitting still. and this little super star and her family reminded of those amazing and activity filled years. there was no sitting or holding or standing or laying down for this one. it was go go go all the way and she lasted the entire session. she played, she ran, she ran some more, she explored, she got wet, she had fun and that is all she needed to do, have fun. this little super star with her amazing parents and a whole lotta love was a whole lotta fun. if you would like some amazing family photos capturing the fun and love in your family, just email me at email@example.com.
Like a Fox//04/08/2016
The day before I shot this couple I was walking on the beach with my daughter. Out of nowhere, she turned to me and said, “Redheads are sly and sneaky like foxes.” I burst out laughing because I have some redhead friends who would love to hear this. She then qualified and said, “well, the girls are gorgeous but the boys, like foxes.” The fox statement became our running joke through the photo shoot the next morning when i told Lisa and Cyrus. Gorgeous, but like a fox.
contax 645 + canon 1v — shot at my house.
Yan Fam Way Maui Family//04/06/2016
this shoot is from the Yan Fam Way Alum workshop held at my house here on Maui. (the review of that amazing workshop is coming soon, pinky promise). But this Maui family shoot happened right at sunset and for the most part was very unscripted. Kids playing at the beach with mom and dad hanging out and joining in. My favorite Maui family photography sessions are almost always the ones where the clothes come off, the bathing suits are on, the play is fun, and the love is strong. To book a family session with me, just send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
what to wear for a beach wedding//04/01/2016
So many couples come to Hawaii or other destinations for their wedding ceremony on the beach. But just because you have having a beach ceremony does not mean you want to dress down for your wedding. So what does work for a beach wedding? When you are getting married on the beach only a few things are essential. The must haves for a beach bride to pull off an elegant but natural look at the beach are:
1. The dress. You need a wedding dress thats gorgeous but one that moves. The Claire Pettibone dress in this shoot is perfect. Its easy to walk in and move about on the beach, but still is a one of kind over the moon type of wedding dress that lets the bride look elegant on the beach.
4. Florals. This is where you can show your colors and personality. I love a wild disorderly bouquet at the beach. It goes well with the wind and sun and sand and the natural elements. The pop of pink here offsets the blue/greys of the beach and rocks perfectly.
5. Hair and Make-up. Wearing your hair down with a natural unmade up sort of make up is perfect for a beach wedding. The movement of hair down is perfect for the beach and softens the formality of the elegant gown. The light in her hair adds to the photos.
6. Make the Most of the Scenery. Your details at a beach wedding most often come in the scenery — the sun, the sand, the water, the rocks, the greenery. All the natural elements come into play and add to the portraits at a beach wedding.
7. Time of Day. Plan for your beach wedding ceremony to be at sunrise or just before sunset to capture the golden tones of the beach. The light at sunrise on Maui is exquisite. The rainbow was just a bonus.
sandy hands and toes | maui family photographer//03/31/2016
my favorite sort of family shoot always ends up in the water with families ready to have some fun and be in their normal beach going wear and showing their love. if you would like to book a family session while you are in hawaii, shoot me an email at email@example.com. have a fantastic day.